Monday, April 16, 2018

Supplemental Post - Sabrina Sonner

In the reading by Frances Negrón-Muntaner, she quotes Lopez saying “All the other movies I’ve done [besides Selena] , it always seemed like they’re trying to hide it or they think I look fat. Or I’m not in the American tradition of beauty.” This surprised me because, when we were watching Out of Sight, the size of Jennifer Lopez’s butt wasn’t one of the things I would have thought to comment on. This might just mean that this movie was successful in “hiding it,” or possibly that it was something people were able to move past after Selena (since this paper was written before Out of Sight came out). I did feel that the sexual tension between Clooney and her was oddly strong, which could have been subconsciously because of the way the movie framed her body, but I also have that reaction to a lot of Hollywood movie romances, so I assumed that’s where that came from. It was interesting downloading the articles for this week, since two of them were on something I hadn't particularly picked up on during the film.

No comments:

Post a Comment