Tuesday, April 10, 2018

Supplemental #4 - Cailin O'Brien


Many of my previous posts have been based on the readings and movies we have each week, mainly due to my dis-fascination with modern day “stars”. Having said that, I’d like to write about a “celebrity sighting” I have encountered over the past few months. I say “celebrity sighting” because this star is someone who practiced their music in my living room with my roommates for months on end. Over the course of couple of months this particular person has risen to stardom. Just earlier today I was sitting in Lemonade and they appeared on the TV screen that was set to MTV. It is incredible what one or two tweets from established popular celebrities can do for another individual’s recognition. 
Not only has it been fascinating to watch this extremely fast rise to fame, but it has been even more interesting to see how my friends and others have changed the way they view and interact with her. Before this climb one friend in particular was not exactly fond of the way that she acted towards them, in regard to her emanating a feeling of superiority. After it became apparent that she was about to hit the jackpot though this was not the same. That friend now answers to this star’s every demand and could not think she is more inspirational. Now, I want to make it clear that I don’t have anything against this new found star, but that it has been eye opening to see what kind of influence stardom can have not only through the media, but within my own home. All it took was check mark being placed beside her name on Twitter and Instagram for not only that one girl but others to instantly hold her in higher regards. I think this has been so fascinating because sometimes I struggle to see how so many people can fall so hard for celebrities and how they can let celebrities opinions effect their own. Of course, some celebrities opinions should be heard and recognized, but the fact that just their celebrity title gives them the influence they have is incredible. It is easier for me to see the great extent to which people with fame can influence those around them by this transition for this particular individual within our circle of acquaintances.  

No comments:

Post a Comment