Wednesday, April 4, 2018

Supplemental Post 3 - Hana Lee

Having called LA my home for 10+ years, I never gave much thought to "The Industry" and star sightings until I went abroad in the UK. With my friends there asking me about if I just see stars all the time, who I had met that was famous, or even eaten at restaurants they recognized from reality shows, I started to realize how accustomed I'd gotten to the things LA is famous for. 

Just last week, my sister and I had one of our famous dates, literally famous. We started off the day with brunch in Downtown. It was a pretty normal day at a relatively popular brunch place and while leaving, we saw Aminé waiting for a table like us normal folk do. He was with his friends, as my sister and I observed from afar, and we wondered whether anyone else had noticed him from his debut single, 'Caroline' or any of the other songs he has put out since.


We went back and forth on whether or not to approach him with questions like is he in a good mood or was he famous enough to ask for a photo looming, until another guy around the same age as us decided to break the ice.  We watched as the tourist hesitantly broke into the group and proceeded to ask for a photo, to which Aminé agreed, trying to keep his cool as he forced a smile. After seeing his obvious annoyance at the situation and deciding it was best to move on, my sister and I walked away thinking about the age old question about the price of fame. 

Were we as fans entitled to wanting photos with our favorite celebrities? Is it unfair of us to disrupt their personal time or was this just something that comes with the job? For me, because I've somewhat grown out of freaking out around celebrities, I try not to bother them when I see them out and about. But for those who aren't so used to seeing celebrities more frequently than most, I assume people younger in age and those from outside LA don't think about celebrities in a more personal way, but merely see them for who they've built their image as. 

Before seeing his interactions with a fan, I assumed Aminé was the happy, always-wearing-yellow guy who liked to rap, and even after this situation, I still do. Though he gave off some less than thrilled vibes, I've come to a point where I don't expect too much from celebrities because I realized that they're just trying to make a living and put on a show, like the rest of us do on social media. So I understand that sometimes you just want to go to brunch and eat good food without needing to smile for a camera. But I also don't have much sympathy for celebrities because the fans are what got you to where you are today.

No comments:

Post a Comment