Thursday, March 22, 2018

Supplemental Post 5 - Clayton Vozzella

This should come as complete shock to everyone--I'm writing about Beyoncé. She and Jay-Z recently announced that they will be doing another joint tour, On the Run II. Per usual, one of the dominant topics of conversation when Beyoncé announces a tour is how broke everyone will go in order to buy tickets (God knows I having a Beyoncé tickets savings account).

Beyoncé faces a lot of criticism for appropriating the word "feminist," usually because she is one of the largest beneficiaries of capitalism, a system most feminists consider to be antithetical to feminism. However, I argue otherwise. Part of my personal feminism is recognizing that not all things that are seemingly oppositional are mutually exclusive. Beyoncé can both be a feminist and exercise her right to live as a capitalist in a capitalist world. She has just as much of a right to play by the system as anyone else. She has the right to excel in her career and amass success and wealth. We can't on the one hand talk about diminishing gaps in wealth between men/women and white people/people of color while criticizing her for doing just that.

And, she's an incredible performer. Seeing her live literally gives me life. And I have the right to spend my money how I see fit, which is primarily on Starbucks and Beyoncé tickets. So yes, I will gladly throw every dollar I have at the Queen to see her slay on stage night after night! I did not come to play with you hoes. I came to slay, bitch!


No comments:

Post a Comment