Tuesday, February 27, 2018

Supplemental Post #2 - Cailin O'Brien


Coming from Darien, Connecticut I wouldn’t say that our town was flourishing with stars to flaunt at the forefront of Uncle’s Deli or Jake’s Place. Having lived for a moment in New Orleans and now living in Los Angeles I have had more exposure to stars over the course of four years than I did over my first 19 years of life. Having said this, it still took me four years of living here to notice local restaurateurs’ use of serving stars to boost their own revenue. About two weeks ago I was at a small vegan restaurant on Abbot Kinney called Plant Food and Wine. Upon entering the neatly decorated front dining room I couldn’t help but notice Hermoine sitting & dining right there in front of me. Now, I can’t say I wasn’t a little excited to see Emma Watson upon surprise, but I was more surprised when my friends and I were brought back to a very large & very open back patio space. Why was Emma Watson, whom I presume would rather be in a quiet corner, seated so directly and obviously in front of the front door? This past week I went out to Bottega Louie for a dinner celebration. Upon entering, who was in front of me but Jerry O’Connell from Kangaroo Jack. My friend must have read my mind because she then explained how restaurants use stars similar to pawns in a game; placing them as an alluring display for potential customers to “stumble upon” as they decide where to dine. Even whilst out to dinner with a date on a Tuesday night stars must feel the strain of the tensions created between their real lives & the roles they play. I used to look down upon SoHo House for having its’ no camera, no pictures rule in place. Looking at it now I almost want to respect it. Stars should be able to go out without being snapped by every camera lens that walks into the room. Using them as restaurant décor seems to me to be dehumanizing.

No comments:

Post a Comment