Wednesday, January 31, 2018

Supplemental Post 2 - Vittoria Rizzardi Penalosa


I’m interning at Gina Rodrguez’s production company, so basically I'm doing coverage all day. I wanted to share with you guys something that thoroughly bumped me while reading all those scripts that are circulating in the industry at the moment. 
Although we’re in the middle of a revolution where women are finally gaining a true voice in society, in the film industry women’s characters aren’t making much progress. I came to this conclusion after having read characters’ description such as, “sassy, Valley girl with a brain” or even worst “23 with her breasts threatening to explode through her thin shirt.” It is appalling how someone feels the need to underline that a “valley girl” has a brain, as if one would have taken for granted that that valley girl didn’t have a brain. I can’t even comment on the second example of female character description that I wrote. It's simply wrong and shouldn't be tollerated. 
Moreover, those scripts which actually made an effort to respect women or even went for a female character driven story, still fell into the trap of portraying an ideal female figure of their dreams. Perfect, delicate, sexy, and violent; the latter seeming to be a latest trendy addition to the 21st century perception women.  

No comments:

Post a Comment